Thursday, February 16, 2012

Shoes? a prototype sneak-peek

Got the crazy idea in me head to try my hand at making a pair of all-leather shoes- from scratch...
I kept seeing a few pairs of various makes/brands that I really liked, but in looking at them- I thought "these look very simple, maybe I could make them myself?" So I'm giving it a shot.





This is a very, very rough prototype, thus far. Figuring it out as I go, and the stitching is all crazy because I'm still figuring out how to size/shape it for my own oddball feet.





Will be working on the rear/heel piece today. But they will be a pair of slip-on types. Once I get this prototype sorted out, I'll use the sized bits as templates to make a more proper pair, and incorporate what I've learned (the hard way, of course) from this.
But, it's taking shape as it goes, and even just this slipper of a prototype is comfy as hell. Walked around in it most of the evening yesterday to test it out and break it in. Nice...
Soles will be stacked 8-9oz. cowhide, the upper/vamp/heel will be 5 oz. cowhide.
The stitching on the actual shoe, when made, will be double-and triple-stitched. I've already identified a couple of stress/load-bearing points on this proto, that need re-enforcing.

No comments:

Post a Comment