Friday, October 26, 2012

A Deerskin bag

I have no idea why, but for whatever reason, the idea/concept/layout for this bag, or sack or whatever came to me fully-formed in my head this morning. Could'nt get the idea out of my head, so I just went ahead and made it.

I apologize , in advance, for the image-quality. The lighting/weather outside was awful, today, thanks to this Sandy storm which is passing by, just off-shore.

Initial layout- roughly 18 inch strip of Deerskin, I set some grommets into it for the flap-tie-down, and for holes for the strap, or sling to go through, when finished.


Then, I cut a strip of the skin from along the edge of this, to make the tie-string, knotted it from the back of the flap, through the grommet, and out the front.



Then I double-stitched-up the sides


For the sling, I did the same thing as the tie, but with Paracord (550 cord) ,and ran the ends through the grommets on the back.






And to test the hide, the side-stitching, and the sling's load-bearing ability, I crammed all the tools I used to make this into the bag. -(approx: 8-9 lbs)




And, good to go. I can either leave it as-is, or modify a dozen different ways, or add some bling to it, or whatever, from here. :)



Later that night, I decided to make another bag, same method, etc. But in my brown leather.






No comments:

Post a Comment